Project Spark Camp

Everything related to Project Spark should go here
bpottle
Level 1
Level 1

Project Spark Camp

Post#1 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:05 am

My martial arts school is doing our annual 'technology camp'

One of the main things is letting the kids make a world in PS. There are 8 kids in the camp so there are 8 crystals to activate - each one is guarded by an enemy that each kid gets to make. Once you defeat the enemy you gain some new powerup like a sword or heart or something.

The kids are so excited - oddly 4 of the 8 have heard of PS or used it before. One kid deleted it though because he couldn't figure out what it was for. All the kids are super excited - "How much does this game cost?" "Can you let me borrow it?" "How can I play our level at home?"

It is fun - the thing about PS is that it takes a long time to get good at it, but once you are you can make games really quickly.

LucidStew
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Project Spark Camp

Post#2 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:04 am

Great, the internet ate my 3 paragraph reply. TLDR - too long didnt re-type. It's an amazing and valuable tool for teaching and learning object-oriented programming. It's a real shame TD/MS didn't support it in this manner by producing accompanying learning materials. It's also a shame they let it die in favor of the much less capable Minecraft.
End of line.

LucidStew
Level 3
Level 3

Post#3 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:25 pm

btw, dont know if you're connected to a network there, but the XBL club Project Spark Team would be a great place for your kids to talk about their projects, get feedback, and show off what they've done. And also to see what other people are currently doing with PS.
End of line.

bpottle
Level 1
Level 1

Post#4 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:23 pm

I never did figure out why that world kept crashing.... but you know what's weird? I just let the kids play crossroads and they LOVED it. I think as a more serious developer, we can tend to overlook crossroads. I hadn't played it in a while, but for kids just starting out, I forgot how amazing even that program was for 8-10 year olds just learning programming concepts.

LucidStew
Level 3
Level 3

Post#5 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:45 pm

Crossroads was fine, until I played it for the 8000th time. Well, actually I I got tired of it after about the 8th time. :D It was about the 800th time where I refused to play it again.
End of line.

bpottle
Level 1
Level 1

Post#6 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:54 pm

Yeah. .. me too. That's why I was so surprised that the kids LOVED it. But it makes sense when they play it for the first time and the camp is only a week long.

LucidStew
Level 3
Level 3

Post#7 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:49 am

I also didn't play the final implementation until long after I was sick of it. I also never saw it as a way to learn Project Spark since I was too busy either grinding for credits or testing it for bugs. So, I really NEVER saw it the way it was intended.
End of line.

Return to “General discussions”