Post#11 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:57 am

does that mean I need to get Skype now? :D
End of line.

bpottle
Level 1
Level 1

Re: PS No Go

Post#12 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:27 pm

LucisStew, sorry to see you go. I have always enjoyed your replies and creations. Last night my wife and I were watching the Guilty All the Same Video made with PS. Such a shame after Chester's suicide - but now that song/video kind of encapsulates some of the potential that was lost.

LucidStew
Level 3
Level 3

Post#13 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:49 pm

I got it going again, but I'm done making stuff. I'm currently learning to use Unreal Engine 4 and Android Studio so I can start work on a couple of different projects once my math class is over for the semester, tomorrow. I'm also going to be working on a YouTube series to help people transition from kode to high-level languages(specifically C++). That might be something useful for you if you're using PS as a teaching tool.
End of line.

Brasten
Level 1
Level 1

Post#14 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:25 am

Ya, Project Spark really isn't a final stop. Even when it was supported, if you got serious about game development, you really had to move on to something professional. Can't live in MS Paint forever. At some point ya have to move to Photoshop, or a clone. :)

For me that happened to be Unity for now.

It's really the missed opportunity for Microsoft to push C# and the UWP. Using Project Spark Kode, the way Alice.org generates Java code. Oh well, one major corporation's missed opportunity is one for an entrepreneur.

LucidStew
Level 3
Level 3

Post#15 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:41 am

It wasn't until I made a concerted effort to learn C++ that I understood what Project Spark does. I also understood why it was so difficult to learn. Some of the tiles do a lot of work for you, but it does not differ from high-level syntax that much, and the O-o principles are very similar. I learned Project Spark largely through trail and error, and memorization of example. If someone handed this to a 12 year old and taught it to them the right way, they would have no problem transitioning to something like Java a couple of years later. I think it really is a missed opportunity, not just for MS, but to get kids into tech training at an earlier age when learning things like languages is easier.
End of line.

Return to “General discussions”