Can't get up and running

Having troubles with Project Spark? Something you don't understand? Post it here, there's surely someone who can help!
aristontyler

Can't get up and running

Post#1 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:02 am

I followed the instructions on the locked thread to try and download Project Spark, but I can't get up and running. When I try to run the BAT file, I get this error:

The string is missing the terminator: '.
+ CategoryInfo : ParserError: (:) [], ParentContainsErrorRecordException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : TerminatorExpectedAtEndOfString

Package deployement failed. Make sure your development settings are set as "Sideload Apps" (middle option) under Windows settings -> update and security -> For developpers

I tried downloading the AppX file to my Downloads (admin) folder, as suggested later in the thread, but still get the same message. I am not very savvy with this stuff, so any help would be appreciated.

I forgot to mention that, yes, I have "Sideload Apps" on. I also tried it with full "Developer Mode" on, but with no luck.

Thanks.

Psychokiller1888
Site Admin

Re: Can't get up and running

Post#2 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:29 am

Please make sure the .appx file filesizes are correct and exactly as follow:

Don't set it to dev mode btw, this makes the deployment fail :)

aristontyler

Post#3 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:47 pm

Thanks for the quick reply! My file sizes are exactly that size. I tried v.1.0.2, 1.0.1, and 1.0.0, and am getting the same message.

I just tried in 1.0.2 again, making sure that sideload apps mode was enabled. Still the same result - the same message I posted above.

By the way, it says it is checking for the local file. Here is the full message that I just now got:

This script requires administrative permissions
Success: Administrative permissions confirmed

Checking if you have the appx already downloaded...

The system cannot find the path specified.
Checking if you have the dependencies downloaded...

The package is ready to install. Do you want to continue?
Yes(y) / No(n)y

Package deployement failed. Make sure your development settings are set as "Sideload Apps" (middle option) under Windows settings -> update and security -> For developpers

Retry(r) / Quit(q)

Is there something else I can try?

Psychokiller1888
Site Admin

Post#4 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:42 am

Where do you have the .appx file? In your downloads folder right?

aristontyler

Post#5 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:34 am

Yes. As far as I know I only have one account, and it has administrator privileges. I don't really know how to check this, though. In Windows Explorer's root tree, I only see one "Downloads" folder, and in the "Users" folder I only see "Jonah's PC" and "Public". "Jonah's PC" has a "Downloads" folder that has the same files as the root "Downloads" folder, which I think is the administrator's stuff. And "Public" has a "Public Downloads" folder. I have added the Microsoft.Dakota file to both of these folders, and still no luck.

I am on Windows 10 Home edition. I really want to get this working.

Psychokiller1888
Site Admin

Post#6 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:50 am

Ok, I think I got it, please download 1.0.3 and try again ;)

Btw, the appx needs to be in your own session's download folder, not the public one, nowhere else is needed

aristontyler

Post#7 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:37 am

It appears that it now found the Appx file, because it didn't say "the system cannot find the path specified." But it still didn't work, unfortunately. Here is the new message:

Success: Administrative permissions confirmed

Checking if you have the appx already downloaded...

Checking if you have the dependencies downloaded...

The package is ready to install. Do you want to continue?
Yes(y) / No(n)y

Retry(r) / Quit(q)

Thanks again for all your help!

Psychokiller1888
Site Admin

Post#8 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:40 am

There is something else in my opinion. You don't quit the script using "q" but you close the window, don't you?

Go to "c:" and you surely have two files:
- Microsoft.VCLibs.120.00_12.0.21005.1_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe.Appx
- Microsoft.VCLibs.120.00_12.0.21005.1_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe.Appx

These are the dependencies downloaded by the script. I can tell you don't quit the script by using the quit function because what you copy paste doesn't show them being downloaded, meaning they are present even though my script cleans everything when closing. So first, get rid of these files and try again, the script will grab them and install them properly too. Then, we can check further why/if the package won't deploy on your computer

EDIT

What I think is that the whole problem comes from the quote in your session's name "Jonah's PC". I could handle the file location recognition, but I think this is preventing the file deployment

aristontyler

Post#9 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:45 am

You are right, those files were there. I had been clicking the X. I deleted the files and then tried to google how to change the session's name, but couldn't find it. I don't even remember when I named anything "Jonah's PC". I checked the user account, and it is named something else. I checked the computer name, and it is named something else.

I'm sorry to ask something that is probably elementary to you, but how do I change the session name? I can usually find this stuff through google, but no luck.

Psychokiller1888
Site Admin

Post#10 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:23 pm

Never said you should change your session s name, be carefull with that :) I need to understand what fails on the script for this to happen

Return to “Users to users support”