Ideas how to do a super hero cape ?

Having troubles with Project Spark? Something you don't understand? Post it here, there's surely someone who can help!
DarkEater77

Ideas how to do a super hero cape ?

Post#1 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:50 pm

Hi, i'm a PS player on Xbox One.

I'm trying to create a Dr. Strange character, but i have a problem (not only this one, but it's the most annoying...)
How can i create a Cape? What objects, what effects can i use?

I thought someone could have done a tuto about creating superhero on Spark before, but it appears it's not the case.

So if you have ideas, i would looooooooooove to know them.

Thanks for reading!
Last edited by DarkEater77 on Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EddieGrapes
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Ideas how to do a super hero cape ?

Post#2 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:57 am

use the Flag object. You can paint both colors red so its not checkered and then use something else for his colar

LucidStew
Level 3
Level 3

Post#3 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:53 am

I've used both Dragon Scale and the primitive quarter dome. With the flag object, you get a nice motion, but the shape is undesirable. I used Dragon Scale for my Darth Vader model, which you can find in Mario v Vader v Link v Master Chief, which you can find on SS under levels. Dragon Scale doesnt give you the motion of a cape, but it's shape is infinitely better than the flag, and it suffices in motion if placed on your character correctly. I have a general character creation tutorial on youtube, but never did one for my specific characters since people could just pick them out of my content if they wanted.
End of line.

DarkEater77

Post#4 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:56 pm

Thanks for answering !!!

The flags objects, (i tried them all) have a post, which looks weird...

mm, didn't try the quarter dome... could work.

Other question: Did you use Attachments, or did you glue it all?
I have to say... i never really understood how Attachments work. It seems so hard!!!!!!

For now i just placed the Kodian Golem Helmet(for the Collar^^) but without Attachs or Glue.

Psychokiller1888
Site Admin

Post#5 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:59 am

Without attachement or glue your item is gonna stay where it is when your player moves....

Attaching an object to another does what it says, it attaches it to the other one. If the forst one is moving, the attached one follows. Gluing is more like making one object out of two

DarkEater77

Post#6 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:32 pm

Thanks guys !!!! I managed to find a good cape using Dragon Scale like you said (but when he's running we see his arms and legs piercing the scale). But now, my char looks like Doctor Strange^^

Since i have a lot of questions, i guess it would be better if i do a topic regrouping all of them^^

LucidStew
Level 3
Level 3

Post#7 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:23 am

If I remember correctly, my Vader model uses 3 dragon scales in an arc. Their intersections are masked by the black color. I don't remember having any problems with collision with arms and legs. Make sure you're attaching to the backside, and makes sure you angle the prop out a bit away from the character to give the body room to move during the various animations.

In regards to attachments and glue... I've done many things and learned a few things. Generally I would say do not glue, just attach. The reason for that being that gluing can cause nasty collision problems if you forget to turn collision off on the props before you glue them. That's easy to do, especially if you're gluing a lot of props. Some exceptions to that: if you have a massively complex character. See my Master Chief as reference. The attach limit is 60. Sounds like a lot, but if you're working with a lot of detail, you can definitely go over. Second instance would be if you have a particularly complicated set of attachments. Master Chief again as an example has a helmet of something like 20 props and 2 characters, which I glued first to make placing easier. Again, though, you have to make sure that collision is turned off on each and every one of those props before gluing, and that you turn it off on the glued object. My Darth Vader gave me problems because I missed a couple. On death, he would kind of float above the terrain. Turned out collision was still on on one of the dragon scales that made up the cape. Last instance is if you have a group of props that need to be arranged together in a very specific way. (see Vader's cape) That's nearly impossible with the character moving around during the stupid idle animation like they do. So pre-arrange them and glue, then attach.
End of line.

Return to “Users to users support”