Amazon Lumberyard

Want to chat with others? Feel free to do it here
Dannyballsub

Amazon Lumberyard

Post#1 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:44 pm

Has any of you heard about Amazon lumberyard? Apparently it's a game creation tool that's being used for upcoming games like Everywhere. It's totally free too, which for some reason makes me skeptical.

I can't tell if it's going to be too complicated or not. It seems intermediate or just below difficult, but then again, everything is that way to me.

Anyway, it seems really cool.

Psychokiller1888
Site Admin

Re: Amazon Lumberyard

Post#2 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:48 pm

Yeah, Lumberyard is based on CryEngine. You code in C# or LUA.

I stick with Unity, it's simply better in my taste

LucidStew
Level 3
Level 3

Post#3 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:48 am

I messed with it briefly when it came out. It's not terribly different from Unity or UE. The main difficulty with the pro IDEs is a lack of assets. If you want to do anything original you either have to make and import your own, or get someone to make them for you. Programming them is different from Project Spark, but a lot of things you might do have analogs in PS. One thing about scripting is that there are tons and tons of members functions and variables to learn to use it effectively. If scripting in C# or something similar, it really helps to have some high-level programming experience.
End of line.

Dannyballsub

Post#4 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:57 pm

Yeah, I've been seeing a lot of people saying they'd rather use unity or that it's better in general.

And LucidStew, that's exactly what I was afraid of.

paradoxmoose

Post#5 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:44 am

Lumberyard have spent a lot of effort updating the engine over the past year. At GDC one of the devs told me about half of the code in the engine is from Amazon, while the other half is the Cryengine they used as a jump start.

They have a visual scripting language currently, but that is in the process of being improved/replaced. When we asked them for a ETA, they responded "when it's ready", so they aren't rushing it, but it was far enough along that they were willing to show it off at their booth.

Lumberyard is designed to be completely free, and you only pay if you use the amazon web services, which it makes easy to integrate. The other unique perk of Lumberyard is it is integrated with Twitch if you want there to be interactivity between streamers and their chat.

Unity is better if you want to make 2D or 2.5D games, Unreal is a comparable option to Lumberyard if you want to make 3D games, with their blueprints being similar to the current implementation of visual scripting in Lumberyard.

Like LS said, you're going to have a hard time finding assets for your game, unless you make them, or find someone who does, or have low standards (in which case, Kenney, aka Asset Jesus, is all you need).

Psychokiller1888
Site Admin

Post#6 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:51 am

Unity is not bad at 3D either... Since they caught up on global illumination guess they are on the same level with Unreal. But that's then a personal choice to choose between the engines. I'm unity for C# and JS support, I don't want the visual scripting

Main differences are export platforms (Unity has way more), code language, asset store and licensing. Unreal is totally open source, while Unity not. Unreal is good for open world as it carries a generator with. Unity imports from more 3D programs. Unreal needs more resources on your computer. They both start with "Un" (...). They both have everything, with slight differences

Return to “General discussions”