Is it time?

Want to chat with others? Feel free to do it here
Psychokiller1888
Site Admin

Is it time?

Post#1 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:02 pm

Hello everyone!

It's been a while since Project Spark was abandoned and it's been a while that Sparkshare runs and tries to give some hope to the remaining sparkers around... We've tried over a year to keep that boat afloat and we have to face it, it is over.

The statistics clearly show that SparkShare isn't used anymore (if it ever was) and we cannot provide help to new comers anymore. The community of former players isn't anymore, the great sparkers have left for better horizons.

The multiple windows 10 updates, day by day, make the Project Spark experience worse in a point where I couldn't launch Project Spark on the lastest skip ahead update to Redstone 4.

The forum isn't active, except maybe for a few adventurers that are curious and would love to test Project Spark, quickly stopped in their enthousiasm by the impossibility to log in and our inability to help them.

This board, the SparkShare database and the statistic engine have shrunk and are now all hosted on the same server I own since years and where I run Sick Rabbit Studios instead of their own servers, to avoid the costs for me. To be totally honest, SparkShare doesn't cost me anything anymore, maybe a little storage place on the server if anything, but behond that nothing, not even time anymore, as I have totally stopped developing SparkShare's client since long.

When an animal is badly hurt I would always try to help it. If its death is unevitable, I'd rather help it out of its misery rather that watch it slowly and painfully die alone. And I think this is the question I'm asking myself right now concerning SparkShare.

What do you think (if anybody replies it would cheer me up a little)?

LucidStew
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Is it time?

Post#2 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:56 am

It's being used as much as it ever has, but no one uploads anymore.
The clock is ticking on Windows 10 knocking it out for good, though.
The whole affair is sad. If I were you, I'd contact the Project Spark Team XBL club and see if anyone wants to hang on.
End of line.

bpottle
Level 1
Level 1

Post#3 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:51 am

For sure it is a hard thing to think about. But you have given herculean efforts to save this thing. If anyone at MS cared 10% as much as you do then we would have never run into this problem.

At least I have some consolation in the fact that my daughter can still use PS on the xbox to practice making games, even if she can't share them. I wish it would have helped sell more copies of my wife's book, Cloud Shifters, however.

gepp0
Level 1
Level 1

Post#4 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:23 pm

Well, that's quite bad...what to say? :roll:
First of all, I am really grateful to you, Psychokiller1888, for all your hard work and dedication to this project. ;)

As always, it is very sad to see a very insightful project such as SparkShare close, but I understand that, no matter how hard a dedication can be, it does not pay bills for itself...and I actually blame Microsoft for killing things such as Project Spark in such an abrupt and sad way (that was not the first time Microsoft killed potentially successful projects, without giving them time to further develop themselves...does anyone remember "Microsoft Movie Maker"? :geek: ).

I would like to thank you again, Psychokiller1888, for giving me the oportunity to play PS after its sunset date. Whatever your decision will be, I trust you will make the right one. In any case, should you decide to close SparkShare, you have been very helpful and kind to all of us, and we look forward seeing you back on other projects. ;)
Best Regards. ;)

codeflex

Post#5 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:05 am

Please don't go. I just registered this account because I cant remember my old credentials, but I have and was planning to continue using sparkshare to complete projects that have been a couple years in the making. I don't usually feel comfortable participating in forums, but if its encouragement or outcry you need to hear, you can count on my voice.

I don't have anyone IRL who played or was familiar with PS, so maybe I should have been coming here this whole time. But until a successor to KODE appears somewhere, I'll be using PS until the day I die. Ive gotten to comfortable, too relaxed. And Sparkshare has helped me manage items and download and learn things post sundown.

Anyways, I know this is probably coming too late, but they say better late then never.

Live on SparkShare

LadylexUK

Post#6 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:51 pm

Unfortunately I have been unable to play Project Spark on the PC since 2016 and I updated my PC, and PS crashed to the desktop every time I tried to launch it, and so I have not been able to utilise Sparkshare, which is a huge shame as I was planning on utilising it for future Sparking after the shutdown. I can now only play on the Xbox.

If there is no way to get a digital download for Project Spark for PC any more, and users are finding updates to WIndows are creating bugs and problems then maybe, and sadly, you are flogging a dead horse.

The Xbox users are however increasing, believe it or not, with some new players coming to the game through purchase of the starter disk from various sources. The Xbox Team Club is increasing numbers all the time, and there is more activity through YouTube and Streaming. I have relaunched the School of Kode website which I add to every day, and it does have a new forum (though currently not subscribed to). So, the Xbox Community are very much alive and kicking, but then we can still play Project Spark with only a few small issues caused by the shutdown. If the PC players cant successfully run the game any more, and your service does not apply to the Xbox player, then it is ultimately doomed.

If it is a financial burden to you then there is no shame in calling it a day. But, if you have it on Xbox then Spark is still very much alive and players should consider joining the Project Spark Team club, contributing to my website (always happy to receive articles and tutorials) and subscribing to my YouTube channel where I will be putting up regular Project Spark videos, including compilations of post shutdown creations.

Sorry if this post seems like an advert for my stuff. You have done an amazing job with Sparkshare. It is a huge shame that PS is disintegrating on the PC, but I think we all knew that could happen.

Check out
https://schoolofkode.wordpress.com
Project Spark Team Xbox Club run by Dannyboy3600 (of Horror Movie Ride fame)
SuperSonicStation and LadylexUK YouTube channels

We can still keep the Spark alive. If you want to have your own section on my website for PC players then please contact me and I will see if I can set something up.

Psychokiller1888
Site Admin

Post#7 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:16 am

Hey Lex!

Good to see you did reopen it! I added a link to your website on my top header

Return to “General discussions”