Getting Utilization Up

Want to chat with others? Feel free to do it here
LucidStew
Level 3
Level 3

Getting Utilization Up

Post#1 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:44 pm

I think everyone reading this knows what an amazing tool this is, and how much we'd all kill for it to be part of the game. Even if Xbox users are severely limited in how they can use this, that still leaves a good-sized PC potential user pool. How do we get them from where they are to here?

I haven't downloaded any YET, but I think doobiesnax99 is on the right track with the image import uploads. By the same token, if we can build up a good library of decent quality Kinect animation and sound imports, that would give good reason to check SS out.

Psycho, I know you're holding off on further development due to the low volume, but I think one problem is the current organization. Or it may be that I just don't know how to use SS very well. If we could easily add to your already established packs, and those packs were then search categories, things would be grouped much better and easier to find, I think.
End of line.

Psychokiller1888
Site Admin

Re: Getting Utilization Up

Post#2 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:32 am

Hey LucidStew!

You are correct, how to get them here... I have wondered since long. Thought that PC users would all be "Yeay, tons of assets" but unfortunately not really. Then I thought I should start uploading content, as the users that primarely wanted to blow off the asset database by uploading days and night did not do so (lack of interest, dunno), so I started to search for stuffs I could import to create a basic in hop to interest people. So I did start extracting stuffs from others on PS and shared about 80 assets, including those you mention, doobiesnax icons he kindly proposed on PS forum to share but couldn't as an xbox user.

I think the key is content, a growing database of asset and fresh stuffs to discover. Social media was a good point and I have added already quite a few people that might add SparkShare in return. Any newly shared asset will generate a twit that will be seen by many. To grow, I think we have to share and promote what we share, interest people with things they can't get easily. Once the ball rolls, I think it will grow...

Now, about how things work... Thing is, I have spent a huge time on SS, and I'm glad I did it, really enjoyed doing it. I'm just saying that the state it is now is for me sufficient to prove worthy or not. I have tons of other ideas I could implement, such as my always wanted dev blog for creators, or an instant "kodeshare" on SparkShare, with brain auto generation... But I'm holding these until I see that there could be a real interest from a potential community.

About how everything works internally, well it's not that hard. The search function will return anything that has something to do with your search request. It will search in assets names, author names, pack names, descriptions, presentation and will return that in the form of tiles split into categories. The main idea is to present the first page with 4 latest asset and a tile leading to the rest of the latest assets. Of course, if the base gets gigantic, the catalog will be messy, but the whole concept/key, is the search field. Because in the head of a user, I'd go on SparkShare with a precise idea of what I need, and I'd search for it most likely.

I have implemented packs in a way that makes them not unique, so that you could share an "icon" pack and I could as well, without them being the same. But searching for "icon" would bring them both up in the results. I personnaly did not share anything yet, but I am sharing with a "SparkShare" account stuffs I do extract from existing games in PS, so I do not personally get the download credits and all. In a past version, from almost the begining, I had "categories" almost implemented, but after long discussions with some from the alpha/beta participant, we decided to remove them in favor of newly born idea, the "packs" idea. Now, you cannot share your content under SparkShare packs and I don't really think that would be needed, as it would narrow down the possibilities in the end.

All can be discussed of course, I'm totally open to ideas. Great changes at this point wil ltake more time as I will not reboot the entire base, but can still occure :)

LucidStew
Level 3
Level 3

Post#3 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:39 am

Content is definitely good. Another issue is traffic. I can tell you as a small business owner, you can have the best product or service in the world, but if no one knows it exists, you wind up with zero customers. So another dilemma is figuring out how to tell more and more people that this here without a budget. I think your absolute best bet there is to talk Thomas into replacing one of those dumb in-game menu taglines with a mention of your site. The game itself has been and likely always will be the main driver of traffic anywhere in Sparkdom. It's been pretty well proven time and time again that with all the social media in the world, an upload, no matter how good, might see 500 downloads, but with a feature... 3,5,even 10,000. Translate that here. A handful of users now. An in-game mention should give you 10-20 times the traffic.

I was looking around other Spark sites. I noticed that .org has a fairly prominent link for this site. However, no such link at the wiki, kodeshare, or schoolofkode. I'd recommend teaming up with those sites on a link swap. That might raise awareness some. I'll be more active now that I've gotten the hang of loading stuff. Another thing that attracts people is people, so if I can help you a bit by posting or hanging out in a chat a bit, I'll do that as well. You need a critical mass to make it worthwhile for you, I understand that. It will probably take a bit of time and tenacity. I don't blame you for putting development on hold. However, don't give up trying to promote the site. One of the reasons I pushed myself to get to work here was your continued commitment.

As far as use of SparkShare goes, my problem is not your program, but rather that I have to prep everything that I plan on bringing over. I have to make sure I have it saved first of all, make sure it's ready to share, give it an image, give it a description. It's a bit of work. Not your fault, just the way it has to work. Anything you can make easier along those lines will help. Some handholding might help, like a short walk-through tutorial the first time you upload. More or bigger mouse-over descriptions. Just little things that make it painfully obvious how to use. It's like making a game in Spark, you know exactly how it works, so it seems strange when people don't understand the simplest things. But, on the other side, the user is stumbling around in something completely new.

As far as what you're grabbing from PS is concerned, I'd encourage image imports and sound/animations. Things that would be a pain to find through PS, searching through worlds. You may also consider creating content specifically to share through SS, like generic icons, and generic sounds/animations
End of line.

Psychokiller1888
Site Admin

Post#4 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:30 am

Totally agree and understand that traffic is one of the keys. As you know the state of Spark you do understand that requests concerning in game change is pretty hard to get through, but I took your idea and wrote to Thomas.

I was looking around other Spark sites. I noticed that .org has a fairly prominent link for this site.

You can't imagine what a fight it was to get to that... I literally sucked my will power for the constant reminding, asking again and again... I have reminded Wert though concerning the Wikia. Kodeshare is dead the main dev is gone since long, so no chance and with LLUK on School of Kode, we were to work together as I wanted to make some online catalog acceessible with short urls that she could use on her website, but I did not do it yet. I recently have added the header adresses and I must say I did not push these sites, beside .org, to return the favor. I'll do that for sure! I'll try to get something on the main PS site too, but they don't have web devs anymore so, problem...

Concerning the guide, how would you see that? Maybe after download a web page open, and explains, an operation per page, how to get to your first share? Big screenshots, short texts?

Psychokiller1888
Site Admin

Post#5 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:42 pm

Good news!

Wert added a link to here on Wikia, and Thomas could quick add "Play Project Spark on PC? Check out the community app SparkShare at projectspark.ch!" in the "Tips and tricks" inside Project Spark on loading screens

LucidStew
Level 3
Level 3

Post#6 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:51 am

Psychokiller1888 wrote:Concerning the guide, how would you see that? Maybe after download a web page open, and explains, an operation per page, how to get to your first share? Big screenshots, short texts?

Yeah, I think that would be fine. That's cool that Thomas might add that tagline. If you can just get a steady stream of users, it will get to a point where it's able to self-perpetuate. I was looking at the stats, and usage right now is about double what it was in early January, so it's a start.

What do you think about adding some metagame to SS? Like a point system for uploads, likes, forums posts, and then the various users would have their score displayed prominently in the app and here, or something like that? How about featured content in SS, like an upload of the month or featured uploader? or sort by ranking, etc? Just some extra incentive to participate.
End of line.

Psychokiller1888
Site Admin

Post#7 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:31 am

My first intention was to implement achievements as users seems to be keen on them, or a "stackoverflow" point system, where you can gain points but also loose some for various actions. I did not really go further for known reasons :)

Ranking and stuffs, I'm all for it... The first versions of SS did not have a "I Like" system, but a rating system "Google Play" like, with 1 to 5 stars, immediately calculating the score on every ratings. Pack scores were auto calculated on the ratings of all the assets' scores in the packs... Discussion with alpha/beta participant made that system off, in favor of a simple FB like system. The frustration of being bad rated like on PS pushed to that direction...

I'll add you access to beta/alpha so you can see the discussions archives, at least what's left of it as I deleted quite much out of frustration because no one was participating :)

What I thought now would actually do what I wanted since long but dropped, meaning the online catalog. You can browse the assets from this website. Sharing the directlink should open the page with the asset and try to launch SS too. Sharing a directlink in image tags should generate an image to the end user with the asset stats. Once that step is made, that would mean the basics of a bridge between the app and the web is made, so we can start using the chat in both per exemple.

Gotta think about the score system, that can be made pretty easily as it is mainly server side work, the client just displays one line (maybe the history of the points as well). The point is that having points should unlock you things... The locked things right now, and that will change, is the limitation to 25 uploads.

EDIT
I've added you to Beta users, but there's almost nothing to read there... Anyway, you can see a lot of things on the news. Exemple of the old rating system viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4#p15

Zgloug
Level 1
Level 1

Post#8 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:21 pm

Hi there,

SparkShare may need to target its audience. Here are some brainstormed ideas.

1. Does SparkShare concerns exactly all Project Spark users? Is it a problem of device, or will, or goal?
2. Are the players interested by sharing?
3. Are they interested by showing?
4. Are they interested by using someone else's work? Work in team?
5. Is it possible to know the sharing behavior or amount in Project Spark?
6. Is it the same goal for SparkShare? Is it different?
7. If Project Spark is a learning program, how SparkShare can help to learn too? Is it the same goal?
8. Is SparkShare a tool for Project Spark or an extension of Project Spark?
9. Is it another community? Another goal?
10. What is the proportion of devices used to play Project Spark? Does it change in time?
11. If team-working a big need? If not, for what reason?
12. Marketing: you learn with Project Spark, you talk with SparkShare.

Psychokiller1888
Site Admin

Post#9 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:37 am

Well, seeing how things are doing I can say that:

• Users want to share
  • Users do mostly share because it is new for them
  • The interest in sharing drops after a couple of shares for most of the users
  • The interest drops because of lack of returns, even though we have some downloads made
  • The lack of returns comes from the fact the uploads are not advertised enough
  • It is not advertised enough because of several points such as:
    • Directlinks are not used at all by users to promote their content
    • The content is not promoted by users
    • There is a lack of interest. Simple exemple is the ton of users I have added on Twitter, only 5-6 subscribed back
    • There is no real external view of SparkShare content
  • I have missed communication even though I have tried hard and some major sites did not play towards SparkShare for unknown reason
  • There is a lack of use because the user pool on computer is low. In this low pool of users, only a few are aware of SparkShare as they do visit the official forum. And even then, they don't see the need to have SparkShare, no real advertisement is made by the users or me, even though I tried, with some stiky topics on official forum, a tip directly injected into Project Spark game etc etc etc
  • The lack of visitors on this site is also a cause. But it is understandable as it is again another forum, again another login etc etc and users are lazy.
  • Some people sporadicaly do try hard, like on SparkShare chat, but they don't try the same time and end up alone. After a couple of days, they stop trying.
  • There is maybe no need for prefabs in the eyes of the users for now
  • Project Spark is also slowly dying away, don't tell the opposite, TD is long gone and it won't take long anymore until the final announcement imo.

Concerning the last part, I have even tried to build up a couple of dudes to prepare for it, I have dumped PS communication with the servers and could technically recreate the servers, but there is simply no interest. What I think is that Project Spark was a blockbuster in its idea, but the lack of team investment from TD in fixing urgent things, adding urgent functions has gotten reason of the game itself, and players are now slowly migrating to other horizons

There is not much we can do for both Project Spark and SparkShare. Maybe the day Project Spark server shut down we will have a massive exode to SparkShare, but even then, for what? People saving their projects for the eternity?

What I think is that SparkShare came out a year too late for good reasons, we only got it about a year ago in Switzerland... I had dreams. I materialized my dreams with SparkShare thanks to my knowledge, based on some hardcore players requests that are not really active anymore either for their own personal reasons. I do not regret what I made and the thousand hours I spent into creating it, just a bit sad to see it not really used.

Enough with the whining now, find a way to make it more visible, do propose I'm open to every good idea and can welcome you in my one men team if you have good reasons to believe you can bring something to SparkShare

Return to “General discussions”