Afterlife Game Plan

Want to chat with others? Feel free to do it here
LucidStew
Level 3
Level 3

Afterlife Game Plan

Post#1 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:45 am

Just wondering, Psycho, if you have laid any plans for here on out. Gotta get the word out that this exists. I don't think many people know about it. You might get more traffic now if more people were aware.
End of line.

Psychokiller1888
Site Admin

Re: Afterlife Game Plan

Post#2 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:06 am

Getting the word out... It's sadto say, but we all have tried... I have unlocked dunno, maybe 80 accounts here for new users, with only one thing to do for them, speak about here. None has done so :) But I kept loosing aboud 30 minutes for each new user to make them PS ready.

I have tried, Thomas was streaming about SS,we had an in-game tooltip about SS, a link directlyon .org etc etc. Nothing. So there is no need as I said when I stopped injecting hours into the developement and took the idea of a PS server away from my head

I said I won't closeSS just like that, that's why it is still running, but we now need to let things settle a little and see what happens

Hallorin

Post#3 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:22 am

There was an in-game tooltip?

I felt really bad yesterday evening when the servers were going down and I was so stupid to "watch live" :cry:

Psychokiller1888
Site Admin

Post#4 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:36 am

Yes there was, in the middle of a lot of others, Thomas was very cool to add it, he really likes SparkShare as all the streams he made about it can tell

LucidStew
Level 3
Level 3

Post#5 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:20 pm

I think there will be more demand now. The situation for PC users seems much less dire to me now that the servers are actually down. I don't know that there is a demand to revive the entire service via a spoofed server. I know there are people out there that would still like to trade worlds at a minimum. I'm mentioning it all over the place on YouTube. There are people that don't even know about Project Spark! It's natural there are plenty that don't know about SS. But they may be interested...

When we first started promoting this on Twitter, there was a definite and real bump in traffic. As you say, time will tell, but people need to know it exists in order to give it a shot.
End of line.

bpottle
Level 1
Level 1

Post#6 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:48 pm

Hopefully there will be more demand for sparkshare. I will definitely use it, although sad to say, I will probably use PS less overall.

I have also tried to get the word out, posting on social media and commenting on some articles.

I also wanted to say thanks for making sparkshare and this site. I know it's a lot of work, but I do really appreciate it. Our main work on PS was a game based on my wife's book - it would have sucked to think that new people would never be able to play it. We will host the level files for our game on our site, but recommend everyone download sparkshare so that they can get access to all the levels here.

bpottle
Level 1
Level 1

Post#7 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:37 am

I updated the wikipedia page for PS to refer to sparkshare - hopefully that helps.

EddieGrapes
Level 1
Level 1

Post#8 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:03 am

Im sure everyone on this site kows this already, but levels are stored locally on your computer in C:\Users\(UserName)\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Dakota_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\Dakota\levels
Do we really need the servers? Everyone could just share their games by sharing their level folders. Inconvenient, but do-able.

Psychokiller1888
Site Admin

Post#9 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:32 am

Sharing a level folder is a solution that always existed since day one. The down side of it, you cant add description, can't follow, no image etc etc etc and it's not easy for everyone to do it. SparkSahre supports level sharing beside assemblies and brains, so it's easier. The easiest solution would have been emulating PS servers, but I dropped that idea quite a time ago.

LucidStew
Level 3
Level 3

Post#10 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:20 am

EddieGrapes wrote:Im sure everyone on this site kows this already, but levels are stored locally on your computer in C:\Users\(UserName)\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Dakota_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\Dakota\levels
Do we really need the servers? Everyone could just share their games by sharing their level folders. Inconvenient, but do-able.

I see it more as a matter of critical mass. Sharing is possible without anything more than email, but if there is no one around to share with, will anyone bother to try to share? This is the big question now. Even here, only a few dozen people use SS. That's not enough. Minimum a couple hundred are likely needed to maintain some ongoing community. Without that I can't see it sustaining itself beyond something that people screw around with for fun every once in a while. Nothing wrong with that, but that's separate from community. SS is really the last hope for the community.
End of line.

Return to “General discussions”