Afterlife Game Plan

Want to chat with others? Feel free to do it here
EddieGrapes
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Afterlife Game Plan

Post#21 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:43 am

I highly recommend unreal and cry engine over unity, unless 2d games is your thing in which case unity is an awesome tool. Also Lumberyard is a new one that might be worth checking out. Just becuase there are other more professional tools out there doesnt mean anyone has to stop using it. Especially because there are other "professional" engines that just downright suck when compared to the simplified ways of Spark. Not to mention this is probably the best tool for anyone beggining to learn game design to jump into. If only there was a way to get the word out to every spark user, i feel like people care, just nobody knows this site exists.

Psychokiller1888
Site Admin

Post#22 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:46 am

No, the biggest part of PS community was xbox players, not really computer. So that means the remaining pool of potential users is really low. They know, knew, saw etc etc. It was on the official website, forum, in game, on Twitter, on YouTube, etc etc etc. It's just that it's over. Thing is I'm not sure if I am going to pay a year more for the SSL certificate needed to protect users traffic over here. If it was only about the server and the domain name I wouldn't give a crap. But the SSL certificate is something pretty costy to say the least

EddieGrapes
Level 1
Level 1

Post#23 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:54 am

I never really thought about the whole Xbox aspect of it, that makes a lot of sense now that i think about it, and explains the drastic decline in people who seem to be trying to use it. How costy are we talking? id be glad pitch in to help out

Psychokiller1888
Site Admin

Post#24 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:18 pm

The actual SSL certificate is 800 CHF, server and domain 125 Chf, per year. I now saw that we can apply for free SSL certificates by Norton, offered by my host. We'll see

bpottle
Level 1
Level 1

Post#25 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:22 pm

Yeah, I hadn't thought of the xbox/PC dynamic before, but I agree. I prefer to create on the xbox - I only migrated to PC to save the levels that I had built. I still do the majority of my playing on the Xbox - I just downloaded 50 games before the servers went down so it will take me a while to move through those.

I also wonder how useful sparkshare utilization is as a metric for people playing. Even when things were normal, I only accessed the servers infrequently. Here too, I wonder if people won't use SS as much because they have a ton of games that they downloaded and are working through those, or maybe if people might play PS every week but only use SS once every month or two.

I agree that it might make sense to do a kickstarter for the SSL certificate. It would have the benefit of really knowing if there is no use for sparkshare. Aren't they about $100 for the year? I'd contribute. If we can't even raise that, then that really shows where we are at.

Psychokiller1888
Site Admin

Post#26 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:52 pm

In Switzerland you get nothing for 100usd :) Hosting in Europe has, especially in Switzerland has some legal benefits :) but then again, money is not the real problem here.

LucidStew
Level 3
Level 3

Post#27 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:53 pm

Look at it this way... I made the most popular world released in the last 10 days of PS. It got about 1700 downloads. So, usage at the end with the servers UP was already way off. Automatically wipe out 90% of that, and if you made content now, and IF EVERY SINGLE PC USER was here, you'd get maybe 200 plays on your content. Who would still make it to distribute? Now consider that they aren't even 200 members here to play... ... and that most stuff on SS is LUCKY if it has FIVE downloads...

If there was a big rush of people into SS in the last 2 weeks, I'd be singing a different tune, but they just straight out didn't show up. And on top of that, there are only 4 people posting on forum. The 4 of us right here is the entirety of the SS community. Let's face it, it's done.
End of line.

Return to “General discussions”